History of our Lodge

The year is 1905.

Edward VII is King of England and Emperor of India having succeeded Queen Victoria as sovereign just three years earlier, the Edwardian era is in full swing. Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman is Prime Minister of a Liberal government, Asquith and Lloyd George are yet to succeed him. World War I is nine years into the future and women will not get the unqualified right to vote for another twenty-three years. The nation is about to celebrate the Centenary of Nelson's victory at Trafalgar and the Wright brothers have just taken to the air. The Titanic has not been conceived. 

This was the environment into which The Adams Lodge was born.

"Gentlemen" did not really work and "Trade" was frowned upon as being only for the lower/middle classes. Fortunately for us there were men who viewed the world differently and saw Freemasonry as an opportunity to put back into society some of the benefits that they had derived from it.

One such man was Frank Adams PPGD (Middlesex), already a very active mason as a member of four lodges and Past Master of three as well as being a member of two Royal Arch Chapters.

Founders 

No records exist of the meetings that would have been necessary prior to the Consecration of The Adams Lodge, today we are apt to think that procedures which govern our Constitution now have always existed. Research of the Lodge records reveal a number of interesting and quite fundamental changes which appear to have taken place during this century. This may also apply to the proce dures for founding lodges with just over three thousand lodges in 1905 and nearer ten thousand at the time of writing, justifying a new lodge would have been easier one hundred years ago than today.

Frank Adams was obviously a very well respected member of the Craft who was able to motivate others. Being a very active Freemason, held in high esteem by his associates and possibly well connected in the higher levels of Grand Lodge, would have made it possible to form the Lodge relatively quickly.

The professions of the founders offer a clue as to the type or class of people that were motivated to join Freemasonry at this time. Frank Adams was a Wine and Spirit Merchant, today we might have called his business an Off Licence, but in 1905 things were different. When one considers that the working class man in 1905 could not afford a service of this kind it is not too much of a leap of the imagination to believe that he would number the wealthy, perhaps even the aristocracy among his clientele. Other professions amongst the Founders include an Accountant, Surveyor, Company Secretary, Engineer, Chief Clerk to the Fulham Electricity Company, Chemist, to name a few; all jobs that would require a good education at the very least and most of whom we would consider, even today, to be of the professional class.

Fulham Lodge No 2512 was the sponsoring Lodge, our mother lodge. The petition was signed in Open Lodge at Fulham Town Hall on 11th May 1905 by the Worshipful Master and Wardens. The Warrant was granted July 1905 with the Consecration scheduled for 10th October 1905.

Here is the list of Founders and Petition to Warrant a new lodge. Note how few of the Founders were Past Masters, and how very rare Provincial honours were in those days.

FOUNDERS OF THE LODGE

W. Bro. Frank Adams, PPGD (Middx.)

W. Bro. Charles Botterill,

Bro. H.H.E. Woods,

Bro. Claude Garland 

W. Bro. W. Norton

W. Bro. V.H. Lanyi,

Bro. H. Taylor,

Bro. T. Driscoll,

W. Bro. Harry Burkett, PPAGP (Berks.)

Bro. Charles Saul,

Bro. J. Smith,

Bro. H.A. Moulden,

Bro. N.A. Chesterfield

Bro. W.E. Bamborough,

Bro. A. Wood,

Bro. G. Hiscock,

Bro. Edwin Willby,

Bro. Samuel Janes,

Bro. H. York Youngman,

Bro. Harry Parker,

Bro. W.C.V. Harwood,

W.Bro. A. Wheeler. 

Consecration

The Adams Lodge No 3122

Hotel Cecil

London

Tuesday, 10th October 1905 at 4.30

There can be no doubt that the Consecration of the Adams Lodge would have been a very happy and joyous occasion. Eighty names are recorded in the signature book, of these fifty-three were guests and twenty-one Founders. In addition there were six Consecrating Officers from Grand Lodge.

VW Bro Sir Edward Letchworth, Grand Secretary as Consecrating Master

W. Bro James Stephens, PDGDC as Senior Warden

W. Bro T. Blanco White, PAGDC as Junior Warden

VW Bro The Rev HM Turner PGChap. as Chaplain

W. Bro Henry Times PDGDC as Director of Ceremonies

W. Bro Arthur Williams PGStdB as Inner Guard 

Evening dress was the order of the day, and when combined with the dark blue and gold of the consecrating officers, would have made a powerful impression on the minds of founders and guests alike.

The Consecration Ceremony itself was much the same as it is today and on the following pages the ceremony is reproduced as it actually happened.

Sir Edward Letchworth was much in demand at this time and it is safe to assume that the ceremony would have been conducted to a very high standard.

Founding Officers

Frank Adams having been installed as Worshipful Master appointed his Officers.

W. Bro Charles Botterill, Immediate Past Master

Bro Harry HE, Senior Warden

Bro Claude Garland, Junior Warden

W. Bro William Norton, Treasurer

W. Bro Vilmos H Lanyi, Secretary 

Bro Harry Taylor, Senior Deacon

Bro Timothy Driscoll,  Junior Deacon

W Bro Harry Burkett, Director of Ceremonies

Bro Charles Saul, Inner Guard

Bro Jos Smith, Organist

Bro Henry A Moulden, Steward

Bro N A Chesterfield, Steward

Bro W E Bambrough, Steward

Bro F Mitchell, Tyler 

It is noticeable that certain offices that we have today did not exist at this time viz: Assistant Director of Ceremonies, Almoner, Charity Steward and Assistant Secretary, this would remain so for many years.

The Installing Master gave all three addresses, to The Master, Wardens and Brethren in a "very impressive" manner. A hearty vote of thanks was accorded to the Consecrating Officers who were then presented with Founders Jewels and made Honorary Members of the Lodge.

On the second Rising five "Gentlemen" were proposed for Initiation including the Worshipful Master's son Frank Richard Adams. All gentlemen would be initiated at the next meeting. The Grand Lodge Certificate of Frank Richard Adams, presented to him in 1907, survives to this day and is reproduced on the following pages.

"The Year of W.Bro Frank Adams, PPGD (Middlesex)" 

Little is known about Frank Adams himself beyond the fact that he was a very active Mason; member of four lodges and Past Master of three, in particular Fulham Lodge No 2512 (our Mother Lodge) and a Provincial Grand Officer of Middlesex. However, the information that we do have is probably enough for us to form a very good picture of this truly distinguished Freemason.

Frank Adams was not only respected by his close associates and at Grand Lodge sufficiently enough for them to agree to the Lodge being named after him, a practise that was to cease quite soon apart from the the most exceptional of circumstances, but he was a very hardworking and able ritualist. Sadly he was not destined to be with the Lodge for very long, the news of his passing was received at the meeting on llth December 1906, just a few weeks after installing his successor as Master.

Probably the greatest legacy that he left, beyond being the prime mover in Founding the Lodge, was his year as the first Master which included achievements, in terms of work rate, not to be equalled for the rest of the century.

During the Consecration meeting five "gentlemen" were proposed for Initiation. At the December meeting four were initiated including his son Frank Richard Adams. The meeting started at 6.00pm.

At the February 1906 meeting all four of the initiates were Passed to the second degree and a further two gentlemen were Initiated. This meeting also started at 6.00pm

At the May meeting proceedings moved to an even higher gear when the original four initiates were Raised to the degree of a Master Mason, an Initiate from the previous meeting was Passed and three more gentlemen were Initiated. Ballots were held for a Worshipful Master and Treasurer. The Tyler was elected and two members for the Audit committee were also elected. During the risings two further gentlemen were proposed for Initiation. This meeting did start a little earlier at 4.00pm and there was a much needed call-off before the Initiations.

This was a work rate that any Lodge could be proud of, but there was more to come. 

At the Installation meeting of October 1906 a gift was presented to the Worshipful Master by the Secretary W. Bro VH Lanyi on behalf of the first four Initiates, who were now Master Masons. The gift was a silver framed photograph of the first four Initiates suitably inscribed with their appreciation.

The Secretary W. Bro Lanyi and the Treasurer W. Bro W. Norton presented the Lodge Banner to the Worshipful Master, who received it with suitable words of reply. The Banner was subscribed to by the Founders of the Lodge and is still present at every lodge meeting.

A Jewel was presented to W.Bro C Botterill for his efforts as Acting Immediate Paster Master during the first year.

The Treasurer presented the Statement of Accounts for the year, the Audit committee reported and a vote for acceptance of the balance sheet was taken in favour.

The Worshipful Master then installed his successor W. Bro HHE Wood as Master for the ensuing year who in turn invested him as IPM and installed his officers. Frank Adams then delivered all three addresses to the Worshipful Master, Wardens and Brethren.

If this were not enough the new Worshipful Master then held a ballot and Initiated a new gentleman. There is no mention in the Minutes of a Call-off, and the meeting started at 4.45pm.

Although in later years the minutes record a Worshipul Master relinquishing the chair in favour of another Past Master in order that he may conduct a particular ceremony, during Frank Adams year there is no record of this happening. We are left with a distinct impression that he did most, if not all the work, as Master, himself!

Almost as evidence of this, at an Emergency Meeting held on 11th November the Worshipful Master conducted a Raising and then relinquished the chair in favour of Frank Adams who Passed four brethren.

Exactly one month later at the Regular Meeting in December 1906 the lodge officially received the news of his sudden death. The Secretary was requested to arrange a suitable floral tribute and to convey the heartfelt sympathy of all members of the lodge to his family.

A proposition was then approved that the Adams Lodge should close without any further business being transacted.

 "Frank Adams rose to eminence by merit,

lived respected and died regretted"

No Freemason could wish for a finer epitaph.

1914 - 1920

Change of Meeting place

In 1914 the Hotel Cecil closed its doors and the location redeveloped. The Lodge changed its meeting place to the Holborn Restaurant and was to be there for the next forty-one years until late 1955.

Ladies Festival

A Ladies Festival had been held from quite early in the lodge's history. These appear to take the form of asking their ladies to join the members for dinner after the regular meetings. In 1912 it was proposed that the Ladies Festival should be held on a separate date. The proposition was approved and from then on no mention is made in the minutes.

World War I 

The first World War did not attack the fabric of England in quite the same manner as the second. Unlike the second World War the first seemed almost remote, yet hundreds of thousands of brave young men volunteered to defend this country and many were to perish in this awful conflict. The Adams Lodge was not affected as directly as others were. There were certainly some casualties by way of injury, and in 1926 one member was reluctantly removed from the membership. Despite extensive enquiries and after seven years from the time he was posted "missing in action" it was felt that the time had come to make the decision.

However, the Lodge was able to help servicemen posted overseas by carrying out uncompleted degrees before their departure.

1920 - World War II

Masonic Regalia at Dinner

For a number of years from 1920 the lodge had applied for and received permission for members to wear their regalia at dinner. This happened at the February meetings, there were restrictions such as no non-masonic people could be present and it should only be worn inside the banqueting room. The practice was known as "Dining in Collars". No reason is given for this preference and it seems to have faded away after a few years. At the time of writing "Dining in Collars" has become so rare as to be almost unheard of, and is practiced by very few Lodges.

Lodge of Instruction

At the February meeting 1928 the Director of Ceremonies felt it necessary to voice his concern over the "different workings" that were being used during ceremonies. The Adams Lodge did not have a Lodge of Instruction. He suggested that members should seek out lodges of instruction in the localities where they lived. It later transpired that many members looked towards the Imperial Lodge of Instruction. Many happy memories still exist amongst Adams members of the LOl's that took place for more than seventy years.

The Charities

The recognised Charities were not always as organised and extensive as they are today but the lodge has always carried out its duties with regard to charitable activities.

In the early years of the century there are a number of instances of a distressed brother presenting himself at the door of the lodge asking for financial assistance. This would be considered by the membership in session and, presumably by means of a collection the petitioner would receive some financial help. In later years this would be paid from the general fund.

In February 1928 although the "petitioner at the door" does not appear to exist there was a need for assistance for some members. It was resolved that the lodge should form a Benevolent Fund for the benefit of past and present members and their dependents. Income for the fund to be by way of a levy on the annual subscription of "two shillings and sixpence" plus of one guinea on Initiation and Joining fees. All donations to be subject to resolution by the members and should the balance in the fund exceed £100 the excess to be given to Masonic Charitable Institutions. The Fund was to continue, with modifications, until 1986 when the Grand Charity created the Relief Chest Scheme which offered a better option for Charity Stewards particularly with respect to tax relief and investment opportunities.

Although ten guineas does not sound a lot of money today, during the 1920's it was, and it was probably with some relief that the members of Adams Lodge viewed the start of 1930 and the end of the Million Memorial Fund. Indeed the lodge appears to have been quite content, membership had recovered and resignations were not as frequent as they had been. Business continued as usual but the practice of Initiating several gentlemen at a time and, therefore, multiple second and third degrees had ceased.

In 1937 W. Bro Charles Saul had been Secretary for 25 years and the Lodge felt that this occasion should be recognised. By this time he was the only Founder after 32 years still alive. The Lodge purchased a silver tea service, it is not recorded if this was from Lodge funds or by members' subscription, and presented it to him at the Installation meeting in October.

The Imperial Lodge, our closest and most enduring friend provided us with a Joining member in the person of Bro Edgar Brooks in 1938 and who would serve the Lodge for almost forty years. 

World War II - 1950s

In 1939 dark days were approaching again and for the first time the Lodge would have to change a meeting date.

The Installation meeting scheduled for 2nd October 1939 was postponed until 17th October where the following entry is recorded:

This meeting was held upon this date instead of the regular date viz: Oct 2, owing to the fact upon the Declaration of War with Germany on the 3rd of September, under the Emergency Powers Act all Masonic Meetings were suspended." This requirement was later rescinded.

During the war years meetings continued to be held on the regular dates. Starting times, however, were in the early afternoon presumably to comply with blackout regulations. Very likely safety was also a consideration when travelling home since air raids usually occurred during darkness. Despite precautions danger was not far away. W.Bro Reg Teesdale records in his journal:

"Bishop and I took our Third during an air raid in 1945 with the "crumps" getting nearer. "

This particular experience might be considered just a little too realistic even for a Third!

He also records that Flight Sgt Hutchins, Lt. Commander Read and Major Wilkins who had missed their progression due to the war would return and take up their progress through the chair. It is also comforting to note that during these difficult times members on active service found opportunities to write to the Lodge from time to time. At the December 1943 meeting it is recorded that W.Bro Charles Saul was too ill to attend the Lodge, for the first time in almost 40 years!

The Lodge applied for an Emergency Meeting in 1947. Eventually Grand Lodge agreed to it but not without questioning the reasons for the backlog of work. The Petition was granted with the proviso that the Lodge took steps to avoid the need again.

By 1951 the membership appears to be between forty five and fifty. This, however, must be considered with some caution since the membership is based on a calculation. The full subscription was four guineas and the total subscriptions shown on the balance sheet two hundred and twenty pounds.

In December 1951 the Earl of Scarborough was installed as Grand Master at the Royal Albert Hall. Eight thousand Freemasons attended for all around the world. King George VI sent his congratulations to Grand Lodge on the installation of the new Grand Master. A letter was sent from Grand Lodge in reply thanking the King, who was suffering with cancer, for his communication and wishing him a speedy recovery, sadly this was not to be. The King died on February 6th 1952.

The Lodge had moved into the second Elizabethan era.

Passing of an Icon

At the installation meeting of October 1953 Charles Saul then aged 92 retired as Secretary after forty-two years. He was offered honorary membership but declined, no reason is recorded but the proposal was withdrawn. He was asked what the Lodge could present him with as a suitable memento. He chose "a set of pipes, tobacco and pouch" it is also recorded that the Lodge added a bottle of whisky. These were duly presented to him and a letter of thanks was received in February 1954. A letter was received in April 1955 informing the Lodge that he had entered the Royal Masonic Hospital and was in a "grave" condition, news of his passing to the Grand Lodge above was received shortly thereafter. 

1950 - 1980

Golden Jubilee

The 50th Anniversary of the Lodge was held at the Holborn Restaurant on Monday October 11th 1954. Dispensation had been granted to move the regular date of the meeting so that it was as close as possible to the Consecration date. Apart from a full quota of officers there were ninety-five visitors. The Lodge was opened, the new Worshipful Master Installed and all other normal business dealt with in the usual manner.

The Worshipful Master then received a procession of eight Grand Officers headed by the Grand Secretary, Right Worship Bro Sir Sidney White.

W. Bro Charles H Allen read the Warrant of the Lodge, his son W. Bro Harry H Allen read the minutes of the Consecration meeting.

Very Worshipful Bro the Reverand Preb. FW Ferraro, Past Grand Chaplain then addressed the Lodge. He spoke of Freemasonry as it had been at the Consecration and the changes that had taken place during the previous fifty years. He also referred to the importance of Freemasonry and said he had no doubt that the attitude of the brethren was responsible for the progress the Lodge had made and the strong position that it was in. He finalised by wishing the Lodge every future success.

The Lodge was closed and the Worshipful Master retired accompanied by the Grand Officers and brethren to a banquet of six courses. The Holborn Restaurant closed in April 1955. The Lodge had moved its meetings to the Oxford Corner House, Oxford Street W1 in December the previous year.

At the February meeting 1955 notice was received that Frank Richard Adams, son of the Founding Master had died. In a letter received from Mrs Adams she thanked the lodge for the flowers that had been sent and expressed her appreciation for the sympathy she had received. Mrs Adams also informed the Secretary that she had all the jewels that had been the property of both her husband and his father. These were returned to the Lodge in due course.

1950 - 1970

In reviewing the first fifty years one cannot but consider it to have been an eventful and, at times, quite a momentous period. By contrast the next twenty - twenty five years might be considered quite ordinary by comparison.

The Lodge continued to meet regularly, the flow of new members both for Initiation and Joining was sufficient to ensure that Offices would be filled without trouble at a later stage. The numbers of visitors was pleasing high, perhaps the cost of entertaining a guest helped, the Dining Fee at this time was about one guinea. It almost appears that the Lodge had entered a period of "contented middle age".

1969 saw the introduction of a Christmas gift to the widows of our departed brethren. Though modest it was a nice gesture and well received by the ladies.

1970s,

A Daughter Lodge

At the May meeting of 1970 it was first announced that some of our members, together with Freemasons of a similar mind in other Lodges desired to form another Lodge to be known as the Savoy Lodge. The Adams Lodge was asked to be the sponsor. February 1971 saw details of the new Lodge announced.

The Consecration of Savoy Lodge No 8356 was held at Grand Lodge on 30th March 1971. W Bro REJ Bogaert was installed as the first Master and later through the Savoy Lodge, honoured with the rank of Past Grand Standard Bearer. He still remains a member of The Adams Lodge after more than fifty years. The Adams Lodge donated the Banner to Savoy Lodge.

Royal Masonic Hospital

In October 1971 the Lodge received a notice that a Committee of Enquiry had been set up by Grand Lodge to look into the economic viability of the various Masonic Institutions. Very little occurred for the next ten years or so years but in the 1980's it would have major implications for the Royal Masonic Hospital.

Ritual

The Adams Lodge was always one for "doing its own thing." Sometime before 1972 moves had taken place to remove the traditional penalties from the obligations, the Lodge had tried the new suggestion but not found it to their liking. A proposition was approved in October 1972 by the Lodge that they would follow the strict Taylor's Working which still including the penalties. This would change later when Taylor's Working was amended.

The Slippery Slope ...

The membership of the Lodge was beginning to age, by the late 1970's many hitherto active members were approaching retirement age and had moved to the country. Others suffered ill health and quite a few had passed on, the annual subscription was rising and those on fixed incomes were no longer able to be as generous as they had previously been. The combination of these various reasons caused a steady decline in membership. The events of the 1980's were to have considerable effect on the Lodge for almost fifteen years.

1980 - 1990

1980 was marked by a financial crisis for the Royal Masonic Hospital. Lodges were approached for support and once again the Adams Lodge rose to the challenge and donated £300 to the appeal. 

The Adams Lodge Benevolent Association (ALBA) was beginning to show signs of age and was not meeting the needs of charity. It was commented upon more than once that the general approach of the Lodge with regard to its obligations to charity should be reviewed. Although no one was keen to shoulder the responsibility, in 1986 a new Charity Steward proposed that ALBA be dis banded and that we should apply for membership of a new scheme being set up by the Grand Charity. This would be known as the Relief Chest Scheme, it would remove the need for Lodge Charity Stewards to apply for annual recognition as individual Charities. In addition, the requirement to complete Inland Revenue forms for the recovery of tax of every individual member would be in the hands of the Scheme as would the investment aspect which was able to return a much improved performance.

"The Hospital" of which The Adams Lodge is a Grand Patron, was a very emotive subject in the mid '80's. Being situated in west London it was much criticised by those who lived a long distance from London and did not really have access to it, but at the same time it was an Institution that no one was prepared to lose. The debate rumbled on for many years but in the end financial pressures over the maintenance of the buildings brought about its closure, to be replaced by the New Masonic Samaritan Fund (NMSF).

New Masonic Samaritan Fund

The NMSF, instead of being a "bricks and mortar" institution, was tasked with dispensing payments directly to those who would have qualified for treatment at the hospital and enable them to buy private treatment at a facility close to where they lived.

More than eight million pounds was required to establish the new core fund and thus the New Masonic Samaritan Fund Appeal was launched. Like other appeals, rewards to individuals and lodges alike were offered. Gold, Silver and Bronze Jewels would be awarded depending on the level contributions made, and lodges would also be able to qualify for Grand Patron status.

Like all appeals in its history The Adams Lodge responded and by the end of the appeal in 1997 had raised more than £12,000. It not only became a Grand Patron Lodge but was honoured by a visit of the Assistant Grand Master (now Pro Grand Master) Lord Northampton who personally presented the Gold Jewel to the Charity Steward. Our Summons now bears the permanent legend of Grand Patron Lodge of the Fund.

The Revival

The Cyber Age

Declining membership and constant ill-informed criticism of Freemasonry by the media and certain sections of society, which it is believed hampered recruitment of new members, found the Lodge in desperate condition in the early 1990's. It was not uncommon for the lodge to meet with less than ten brethren in attendance, visitors frequently assisted by taking office. Somehow the Lodge managed to keep its head above water financially.

A pivotal moment occured in 1993 with the Initiation of Bro Frank Stuart- Brown (later W Bro Stuart- Brown, LGR, PPSGD - now deceased). Having found his feet in the Lodge, Frank, who was aware of an association known as the "London Lunchtimers" made use of an internet bulletin board in 1996 to invite members of this association who were Freemasons to the next meeting of The Adams Lodge.

The Lunchtimers is an open forum, which enables non-masons who have an interest in Freemasonry to meet with established Freemasons and discuss matters of mutual interest. Many new members to the Craft have resulted through this association and London Lunchtimers was visited by Lord Northampton on a fact-finding mission when Assistant Grand Master.

W Bro Julian Smith, one of the Founders of London Lunchtimers, decided to attempt a rescue of The Adams Lodge from its parlous situation. Many Initiates and Joining members followed, some of them from London Lunchtimers, and the membership of the Lodge has increased to a very healthy level.

Centenary

Coach for Meadowgate School

The Adams Lodge, 3122 was presented with the Gold Award of the NMSF by Lord Northampton (then Asst. GM) on 17th December 1997 and then began their next fund-raising project. Lord Northampton suggested that the Lodge might like to raise funds for a Variety Club sunshine coach, which could be presented in the Lodge's centenary year (2005-2006).

Money was raised by a variety of means including golf days, auctions and raffles. The fund-raising goal was reached by the end of 2005. An informal presentation of the coach was made immediately, in time for Christmas, with a formal presentation in 2006.

Celebrating the Centenary

The official celebration of the Centenary of the Lodge took place in the superb surroundings of room ten, sometimes known as the Indian Temple at Freemason's Hall, Gt Queen St on 15th December 2005.

The Guest of Honour was Right Worshipful Bro. R J Race, Deputy Metropolitan Grand Master, together with other distinguished brethren.

The Adams Lodge, true to its previous responses to Charity has exceeded expectations. More than £20,000 has been raised for the Centenary Fund which has enabled the Lodge to present a Sunshine Coach to Meadowgate School in Brockley, South London, a teaching facility specialising in five to ten year old chil­dren with learning difficulties and other conditions such as autism.

The coach was presented to the school on 21st November 2005 in time for them to make use of it for Christmas. The official presentation took place on Thursday, January 26th 2006 and was accepted on behalf of the school by the actress Jenny Agutter in the presence of the Deputy Metropolitan Grand Master.

Long before it was fashionable, The Adams Lodge had adopted a policy of donating to non-masonic charities and has now reached deeper into the local community then ever before.

Having completed a century in distinguished form, may The Adams Lodge No 3122, through its successors, continue to prosper through the next century with credit to itself and to the advantage of Freemasonry.

Mother & Daughter Lodges

Fulham Lodge, 2512

Consecrated in 1894 the Fulham Lodge was the sponsoring Lodge for the Adams Lodge in 1905. W Bro Frank Adams was a Founder Member, Past Master of Fulham in 1899, and together with two other members of Fulham Lodge were Founder Members of Adams Lodge in 1905. Fulham Lodge celebrated its Centenary in 1994

Fulham Lodge was unfortunate to have all its records destroyed during the blitz and were not even aware that they had sponsored a daughter lodge until the mid-1980's. Since then we have both visited each other on a number of occasions.

Imperial Lodge, 1694

Founded in 1877, the Imperial Lodge is, without doubt, the most enduring friend that the Adams Lodge has had. Not only were three of its members Founders of Adams but there has been an almost unbroken tie of visitors to and from Imperial for more than ninety years. The Imperial Lodge celebrated its Centenary in 1977.

W Bro Charles Saul PAGDC was a member of Imperial and, as with Adams, its Secretary for many years.

Savoy Lodge, 8356

Consecrated in 1971 the Adams Lodge was the sponsoring Lodge for the Savoy Lodge No. 8356. The late W. Bro REJ Bogaert, PGStB was the Founding Master, and later Worshipful Master of Adams Lodge.

The Savoy Lodge was honoured to have as its second Worshipful Master, the late R.W Bro Lord Hewlett, Provincial Grand Master for East Lancashire.

Today

Over the past several years the Lodge has experienced an influx of new members, from existing Brethren to new Initiates.

The diversity of our members continues to expand with individuals coming from all walks of life, Students, Educators, Engineers, and professional service providers. This makes for a rich tapestry of members coming together with a mutual interest in self development within a traditional environment. 

The Adams Lodge is over 100 years old and has a wonderful history and tradition, with outstanding charity achievements.